St. Sylvester Parish was founded nearly 90 years ago. In 1915, engineers from the Cambria Steel Company, later Bethlehem Steel of Johnstown, surveyed and explored this area and discovered a large seam of coal. Late in 1917, and in early 1918, Slickville began to take shape as workers migrated to this area from all over Pennsylvania.
The initial influx was primarily Slovak and Italian. The Benedictine Fathers from St. Vincent Archabbey in Latrobe, established the first Roman Catholic Church in the community. Interestingly, the first pastor, Benedictine Father Augustine Minkel served jointly as pastor of Avonmore, Saltsburg, and Slickville.
The first new church was dedicated in 1921 by Benedictine Archabbot Aurelius Stehle. Over these many years, St. Sylvester Parish has played an integral role in the life of the community of Slickville.
The beautiful new circular church was designed by the architect, Francis O'Connor Church. The late Bishop William G. Connare, consecrated the St. Sylvester altar August 11, 1963.