St. Ambrose Church
St. Ambrose Parish, Avonmore, was established in 1903 at the corner of Allegheny Avenue and Seventh Street. Benedictine Father Ambrose Kohlbeck (the first assigned pastor in 1902), assisted by Fathers Wepfer and Martin Singer, traveled monthly from either Vandergrift or St. Vincent Archabbey, Latrobe, to serve the congregation on a rotation basis.
The cornerstone of our present church was laid by Benedictine Archabbot Aurelius Stehle June 29, 1924. In 1963 under the pastorate of Father Lydon Lee, the church was enlarged and its interior entirely renovated.
The St. Ambrose parish community celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2003.
St. Ambrose Golden Anniversary Book 1924-1974
St. Matthew Church
St. Matthew Parish, Saltsburg, was founded in 1847 by Father Boniface Wimmer, a Benedictine monk, who was also the founder of St. Vincent Archabbey in Latrobe. The first church was dedicated on the feast of St. Matthew September 21, 1847, which was then part of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.
In 1951, St. Matthew became a part of the newly formed Diocese of Greensburg. The current St. Matthew Church was built in 1960 and dedicated September 10, 1961 by the late Bishop William G. Connare.
The parish community of St. Matthew celebrated its 150th anniversary September 21, 1997 by Bishop Emeritus Anthony G. Bosco.
Dedication of the New St. Matthew Church 1961
St. Matthew Sesquicetennial 1847-1997
100th Anniversary of St. Matthew Catholic Church 1847-1947
St. Sylvester Church
St. Sylvester Parish was founded nearly 90 years ago. In 1915, engineers from the Cambria Steel Company, later Bethlehem Steel of Johnstown, surveyed and explored this area and discovered a large seam of coal. Late in 1917, and in early 1918, Slickville began to take shape as workers migrated to this area from all over Pennsylvania.
The initial influx was primarily Slovak and Italian. The Benedictine Fathers from St. Vincent Archabbey in Latrobe, established the first Roman Catholic Church in the community. Interestingly, the first pastor, Benedictine Father Augustine Minkel served jointly as pastor of Avonmore, Saltsburg, and Slickville.
The first new church was dedicated in 1921 by Benedictine Archabbot Aurelius Stehle. Over these many years, St. Sylvester Parish has played an integral role in the life of the community of Slickville.
The beautiful new circular church was designed by the architect, Francis O’Connor Church. The late Bishop William G. Connare, consecrated the St. Sylvester altar August 11, 1963.